bjalg's blog

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Book's I Have Read (or am currently reading) This Year

  1. Esperanza Rising, by Pam Munoz Ryan. A very nice book about a young gril's experience moving to the United States with her mother after losing her father. The first view pages have some unintentional double entendre- a very erotic scene between Esperanza and the ground. Highly recommend it.
  2. Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. Loved it! Made me wish I were applying to graduate school to study Econ!
  3. Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner. Finally (!!!!) finished this book. Absolutely amazing and totally unexpected ending. Beautiful writing. Love Stegner.
  4. The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan (In process). I liked the movie a lot, so I thought I would give the book a go. It is opening my mind to more understanding of the expectations parents have for their children.
  5. Naked Economics by Charles Wheelan. Again, wish I were studying economics. Learned so much from this book
  6. The Lexus and the Olive Tree by Thomas Friedman. Very much enjoyed this book. Great thgouths on balancing globalization and social issues.
  7. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling. Rather enjoyed this one. Still shocked about Dumbledore and Snape. Harry's sudden boldness caught me off-guard. Overall, I liked it!
  8. Nerds 2.0.1: A brief history of the internet by Stephen Segaller. The book that sprang out of the PBS series of the same name. Really well-written. Interviews with every major CEO, techie, whatever involved in the creation and advancement of the Internet and the Web. Really liked this one, though I think it seals my own dork status that I would stay in on a Friday night to read it.
  9. The Case against the Global Economy by Jerry Mander (In Process). What a funny name combination! :) Thought I should balance all the pro-global stuff I have read. We'll see how it goes!
  10. A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel. Very cool investing book. Been around for thirty years.
  11. The Little Prince by Antonie de Saint Exupery. Read this one with the kids, but think I need to read it on my own so I can really process it.
  12. Some accounting textbook. Actually kind of liked this one. I am a nerd. More of a nerd.
  13. Reengineering the Corporation. Michael Hammer and James Champy. LOVED this! I never knew operations could be so interesting.
  14. Crossing the Chasm. Geoffrey A. Moore. A book about selling (advanced) tech products to mainstream markets. Really interesting.
  15. Grocery Revolution. Barbara Kahn and Leigh McAllister. Very thorough investigation into the marketing tactics of grocery stores. Not my cup of tea.
  16. Kotler on Marketing. Philip Kotler. Let's just say that marketing has not yet caught me.
  17. Information Rules. Carl Shapiro and Hal Varian. A guide to selling, buying, etc. in a networked, information-based economy. (In Process).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home